Organist/Director of Music & Liturgy
The Organist and Director of Music makes critical contributions to St. Peter Parish by his/her ability to engage the parish in the musical celebration of worship and in the timeless beauty of liturgies. To accomplish this, the primary functions of the Organist and Director of Music are to assure, direct and facilitate the continuous quality music ministry and to assist the Pastor in directing the liturgical functions at St. Peter Parish.
The Organist and Director of Music is directly accountable to the Pastor. The Pastor shall evaluate the performance of the Director on an annual basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Upholds and enforces established laws and regulations and the policies, guidelines and procedures established by the Roman Catholic Church, the Diocese of Jefferson City, and the Parish of St. Peter.
- Works with the entire campus staff to support the mission and vision of St. Peter Parish as enumerated by the Parish Pastoral Council.
- Assures and maintains strictest confidentiality required by laws, regulations, policies and directives established or provided by the Pastor and/or Pastor’s agent.
- Regularly informs the Pastor of important accomplishments, needs or problems in all program areas under his/her direction and supervision.
- Serves as an active member of the parish staff and attends all staff meetings.
- Attends monthly meetings of the Divine Worship and Spiritual Development Committee.
- Develops long- and short-range goals for St. Peter Music Ministry.
- Other duties as assigned.
The overall Music Ministry at St. Peter Parish will be developed by the Organist and Director of Music, in collaboration with the Pastor, in a way that encourages the active participation of the faithful in Mass and the other liturgies of the Church.
- Encourages parishioner of all ages to participate in Music Ministry as their interests, musical gifts and abilities permit.
- Plans music for all parish liturgical and sacramental functions or celebrations and advises the Pastor as needed.
- Communicates with the Divine Worship and Spiritual Development Committee regarding music plans for particular seasons.
- Plays and/or directs music groups for at least 3 of the 5 weekend Masses.
- Assigns other musicians and/or groups to provide music at Masses not covered by him/herself.
- Plays, directs or arranges for music for all Holy Day, Christmas, Triduum and Easter Sunday Liturgies and Masses.
- Plays for school Masses unless other arrangements are made with the Principal and the Pastor.
- Provides and implements music guidelines for all parish weddings and funerals in accordance with the Roman Catholic Church and the Diocese of Jefferson City.
- Provides or schedules musicians for all parish liturgies including funerals, prayer services and special occasions.
- Plays for or arranges musicians for First Reconciliation, First Communion, Confirmation and Graduation services and Masses.
- Oversees direction of all choirs of St. Peter Parish.
- Recruits, trains and evaluates cantors and additional musicians. The Organist and Director of Music will hold cantor meetings as needed to review music, rehearse for upcoming liturgies, and teach new music.
- Prepares weekly worship sheet for Sunday Masses
- Acts as a resource to St. Peter Interparish School, St. Peter PSR program and other parish organizations in areas that require liturgical music.
- Oversees and makes recommendations for church sound system.
- Manages music licenses and copyright information and ensures that St. Peter is in complete legal compliance.
- Researches, procures, and maintains hymnals for church and chapel.
- Provides copies of all music for Masses to musicians, cantors and groups as needed.
- Purchases and maintains all supplies needed for musicians, cantors and groups as needed.
- Schedules all liturgical ministers for all weekday, weekend, Holy Day and sacramental celebration liturgies and Masses.
- Works closely with the Pastor in planning liturgies and Masses, including sacramental celebrations.
- Advises St. Peter Interparish School Staff and acts as a resource in planning school liturgical events.
- Offers guidance and input to the Divine Worship and Spiritual Development Committee for upcoming liturgical seasons and celebrations.
- Advises the Pastor, parish and school staff, and volunteers as needed regarding changes in procedures.
- Attends Diocesan or parish meetings/workshops regarding liturgical ministry norms, guidelines or enhancement.
Ministerial Formation and Professional Development
- Develops and adheres to an annual individual ministerial formation and professional development plan that is aligned with Diocesan, parish and/or performance goals.
- Attends meetings/workshops that enhance the professional development of the Organist and Director of Music.
- Works with parish VIRTUS coordinator to ensure all music and liturgical ministers are in compliance with Diocesan requirements.
- Promotes and facilitates effective communication, collaboration and cooperation between and among all participants in Music and/or Liturgical Ministry programs and members of the parish community.
- Supervises and evaluates all paid and unpaid participants in St. Peter Music Ministry.
- Supervises and evaluates all volunteers in St. Peter Liturgical Ministry.
- Maintains a routine schedule of office availability which is communicated to the Parish Office staff.
- Responds to voicemail messages and email regarding Music Ministry and Liturgy in a timely manner.
Budget and Finance
- Works with the Pastor, Divine Worship and Spiritual Development Committee and Parish Business Manager in developing an annual budget for Music Ministry and Liturgy.
- Complies with defined budget management and fiscal record keeping, paperwork and reporting procedures established by the parish and the Diocese of Jefferson City.
- Oversees maintenance and/or repair of parish musical instruments and sound-related equipment.
St. Peter Catholic Church offers a competitive total benefits package including vacation, sick time, medical insurance and retirement savings through the Diocese of Jefferson City.
- Vacation: Two weeks of vacation accrues each year until year 5; then you accrue three weeks/year.
- Sick Time: 10 days of sick time accrues each year.
- Insurance: St. Peter Parish provides life insurance and long-term disability insurance, as well as options for medical, dental, vision and AFLAC through the Diocese of Jefferson City program.
- Retirement: 3% of gross annual salary is contributed by St. Peter Church and the Diocese of Jefferson City to the Principal for retirement. A 2% match of employee contributions is also available.
- Work Schedule: The Director of Music and Liturgy shall arrange his/her work scheduled so that all duties required during any given week are accomplished to the best of his/her ability. It is expected that his/her office availability will be arranged to allow for this.
- The Parish will provide the Organist and Director of Music with a maximum of $4,000 annually for continuing education for the Director and for parish musicians and ministers.
Please email resume, cover letter and references to Fr. Jeremy Secrist at firstname.lastname@example.org
After School Care Program
St. Peter After School Care program is looking for a desk clerk at least 18 years of age; Monday-Friday 2:00 to 5:30 p.m. each day school is in session for 2021-2022 school year. The job entails keeping track of attendance, helping director supervise the staff and children grades K thru 8th and helping provide a safe, Christian environment. Great job for a stay at home mom, retiree, or college student. If interested please contact Betsy Bartow @ 573-636-8922 ext 322 or email email@example.com.
Teachers & School Nurse
A successful candidate is a practicing Catholic in good standing who can minister to students regardless of subject area or a teacher who, consistent with the Mission of St Peter School, promotes and teaches the Catholic faith as reasonably determined by the principal. Applicants should hold the appropriate Missouri teaching certification or its equivalent. All interested persons should complete the application on the Jefferson City Diocesan website and contact the Principal, Mrs. Gayle Trachsel at Gtrachsel@stpeterjc.org.
School Nurse 3 days a week
2021-2022 Substitute Teachers